What Radon Is

 

Radon is a naturally occurring, colorless, odorless, highly radioactive gas produced by the decay of uranium 238, found in earth. Radon and its associated by-products emit alpha and beta particles and gamma rays. These particles attach themselves to other airborne particles such as dust, and are inhaled into your lungs. 

Once inside your lungs, they lodge in the mucus membranes. The damage from these particles can cause cancer. Your lung cancer risk from radon is determined by the amount you are exposed to, and the length of time you have been exposed to it. The higher the level, the higher the risk. 

The only way to know if you are living with Radon in your home is to test for it. You can find test kits at most any hardware store. Another option is to hire a certified professional to come to your home, thus assuring the test is accurate.

  
How Radon Gets into Your Home

In most cases, radon is drawn into your home by what is called the stack effect. Due to raised indoor air temperatures, a natural vacuum pulls the radon up through your foundation. Furthermore, radon can easily enter your home through open sump pits, cracks and holes in the foundation around the perimeter of the basement, or around sewer pipes, etc. 

No level of radon is considered safe. Therefore, you should try to reduce the gas' levels in your home as much as possible. The average radon level in homes is 1.3 pCi/L. You should take action to reduce radon in your home if your indoor level is higher than 4 pCi/L (4 picoCuries per liter).

  
Take Action Now

Both the Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) and the Surgeon General's office agree that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. It results in as many as 36,000 deaths per year. E.P.A. officials have urged nationwide testing for radon. They have also set an action level of 4 pCi/l for indoor airborne radon levels.

 

 

 RadonIsReal.org [Infographic]
Courtesy of RadonIsReal.org
     
     
 

2016 Radonworx.com All Rights Reserved